Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Prices at the pump do make a difference.

I stand corrected.

Last week, I lamented the seeming lack of real change on the part of American consumers. If the preserving our environment for future generations wasn't enough of an impetus to make a change, surely gas prices would be, one would think. Turns out, it's true.

This morning's news discussed how gasoline usage in March experienced the sharpest decline ever recorded: 4.3 percent compared to March 2007. And that was when gas was several dimes cheaper.

My weekend guests commented about how traffic seemed lighter this year, even with one planning to cope with traditionally heavy traffic headed for the Ozarks and the Indianapolis 500.

And this morning, I realized I would have to work two hours to make up for the half-tank of gas I'd just put in.

So consumption habits are changing. I stand corrected.

If you're looking for other ideas on limiting your gas use, check out these sites to get started:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's just no stopping the price of oil going up. I read in an article recently that says that gas is likely to reach $6-$7/gallon in the next 6-24 months, with oil going for $200/barrel by the end of this year. By then I think people will finally be forced to stay home, and not use any gas because of such outlandish prices. But with every negative, therein lies a positive. It's called bioheat.

Has anyone ever heard of it, or has switched to it? I want to start taking initiative in turning my home into a greener household, one way I have started is by switching out all my lightbulbs in my home to energy efficient lightbulbs. And I am also seriously considering switching over to bioheat as an alternative to regular oilheat. The thing that I love the most about it is that it’s completely clean burning, and is comprised of a b5 blend of oils which are derived from natural plant and vegetable sustainable resources such as corn, hemp, and avocados just to name a few. If you all want more information on how bioheat works, just go on to http://oilheatamerica.com/index.mv?screen=bioheat I work with NORA to bring this info to you all!

Walking Green said...

The market is in turmoil right now. Go to wikipedia and read about Contango and Backwardation. Eventually, it will come down, but until consumers demand better mpg's from automakers hold them accountable, it will never happen.

I love the thought of bio-fuel, however if farmers are receiving subsidies for a product that they are selling for a premium to an oil company and not using it for food consumption, they should lose the subsidies (as they don't need it) and the money applied elsewhere. Say to help farmers that want to go organic out with the cost of certification, etc.