Saturday, July 12, 2008

Hey look, it's lettuce...

Lettuce plucked fresh from the garden is a usual fare in the summer season. And I don't have a problem with it, really.

But my CSA box once again had another bag of lettuce mix. Not that I'm ungrateful, but I'm very interested in some of the other things I've been promised along the way, like kohlrabi, broccoli and other vegetables and herbs I've yet to be brave enough to buy on my own.

After a two-week delay after the Fourth of July holiday, I was hoping to have something new and usual in this week's share. Not so much the case. Lettuce, lots of lettuce. And my all-time favorite, or not, green peppers. And tomatoes. A few sprigs of basil. And a small head of cabbage is the most out-there I have.

Unfortunately, we had storms all morning, so we weren't able to get to the farmers market this morning to flesh out what we had. So we're using this as an excuse to ensure that we use up all of last weekend's produce and let nothing go to waste.

On the menu this week are fajitas (again) as well as acorn squash, which I sauteed in a little butter today for lunch. I'm also experimenting with a strawberry salsa recipe from the May/June issue of Paula Deen's magazine.

In the meantime, I am ready for a fresh new salad recipe to use up that lettuce, and I'm all ears. Post your ideas/links you've found here!

No comments: