Friday, March 13, 2009

Touch the tree

After 10 months of uncertain home schedules, the days when we do need day care become a source of upheaval in our household. If it's not a tantrum during the getting ready process, then there's at least one instance of pouting or tantrums in the car.

Today was no different. We were blessed that my husband got temporary work for today, so off the kids went. And like every day when my husband is in school, I got and "I don't want to go. I want to stay home with Daddy."

Pulling into the driveway meant the same routine. And today, I just wasn't up for it.

I calmly pull out her little brother and told him, "You were such a good boy in the car. Would you like to touch the tree today?"

"I want to touch the tree!" I hear his sister cry.

"But you don't want to go today," I responded, bringing her brother to the pine tree that he loves to brush his tiny fingers against.

"I do! I do! I do want to touch the tree!" And out she popped from her car seat, jumped out of the car, and ran underneath to touch the tree before happily trucking to the front door.

If only things were always this easy!

No comments: