Thursday, September 23, 2010

Garlic mushroom soup

The other day, I was dragged out to lunch for a pick-me-up at a Greek restaraunt. There, I had the most fabulous garlic-mushroom soup. I've been thinking I should make some ever since.

While I haven't yet found one with that creamy consistency, I think I could settle on this recipe, and will be happily tormenting my husband with fungus soup sometime this week!

Garlic Mushroom Soup
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
20 cloves garlic, peeled
1-1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms, divided
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 cups toasted bread crumbs
1 bunch fresh parsley, stems removed and finely chopped
10 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper

In a food processor or by hand, finely chop the garlic and 1 pound of the mushrooms. Cut the remaining 1/2 pound mushrooms into thin slices. In a 4-quart saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil and saute the garlic and mushrooms for 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pan and saute the bread crumbs. Add the mushroom mixture to the crumbs, stir in the parsley, and saute for 5 minutes. Add the broth and simmer, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

Shaheen said...

Sounds good. Mushrooms will soon be on the menu in our home too.