Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Missouri Botanical Garden Photo Tour

When my sister suggested an afternoon at the Missouri Botanical Garden in St.Louis, I had to admit I was skeptical. After all, we had a 3, 6 and 8 year old in tow; not to mention the summer heat. I expected wilted kids and wilted plants.

Was I wrong. 

The Missouri Botanical Garden - one of the oldest botanical gardens in the United States - was a wonderful place to stop for the afternoon. All of us enjoyed wandering the grounds, seeing the statues and stopping to smell the flowers. For those needing to be a little more hands-on, there was a "smelling garden" (herb garden) as well as a Children's Garden to enjoy.

Here are some of the late June moments we enjoyed at the garden:

The Linnean House, a conservatory and greenhouse that dates to Henry Shaw's time. (Shaw founded the botanical garden in 1859.)

 I loved the looks of many of these gardens and would love to copycat this!
 The ponds and fountains were a huge attraction for my 6 year old.
The iris and daylily gardens gave me much to add to my wish list. More than 1,500 irises and 1,800 daylilies are thriving in the botanical garden.

Want to visit? Children are free; adults are $8. The children's garden has an additional $5 fee; however, our children had a great time without visiting the area. Learn more at mobot.org.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Missouri Botanical Garden is one of our favorite places! There really is something for everyone to see, and it's a magical world for kids. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos with us